We regulate mobile and stationary roadside vending to ensure they operate in a safe manner for pedestrians and road users.
You will need a permit from us if you want to operate a mobile or stationary roadside vending business.
Permits cannot be transferred. If you are taking over an existing business, you will need to apply for a new permit.
Permits are valid until the 31 August each year (except for temporary licences) and are renewed annually. Fees may apply for a new permit or for permit renewal. For more information visit Permits & licensing renewals.
Mobile roadside vending
Mobile roadside vendors travel from place to place on a road and are waved down by customers. Mobile roadside vendors sell products that are either ready for sale or prepared in a short period, for example pre-packaged food and coffee.
The following conditions apply:
- Vending must be conducted on roads only. The sale of goods in parks, including parking areas within parks and on beaches is prohibited.
- The operator must be waved down in order to make a sale.
- Stopping time on the roadside is limited to the duration of the sale. Waiting for customers is not permitted.
- Operators are prohibited from selling their products or services within 250 metres of a fixed food premises that is open and provides the same, or similar, goods or services.
Stationary roadside vending
Stationary roadside vending operates in one place. The following conditions apply:
- The operation must be located outside a 5-kilometre radius of a retail shop, other commercial premises, or another stationary vending operation, that sells or provides similar products or services.
- Hours of operation must not adversely affect the amenity of the neighbourhood.
For more information about food licence criteria, visit the City's Knowledge Network - Toolbox or call us on 07 5667 5987.
How to apply
Use this form to apply for a roadside vending permit to operate mobile or stationary vending activities from a road. Fees apply.
You may be eligible for nil fees if you can show that you own, rent or lease a rateable property within the City of Gold Coast, or are a registered charity, voluntary sporting, community, religious or incorporated not-for-profit organisation.